Wednesday, September 13, 2017

#Ghost #Zombie Book Reviews - #1LineWed

I realized that I had put up short reviews on the book sites but wanted to share some more thoughts on a couple recent reads. You'll enjoy these!

And since it's also 1 Line Wednesday, I included a line from each...


Haunted (The Arnaud Legacy), - Lynn Carthage (Erika Mailman)

About Haunted:

Moving to my stepfather's English country mansion sounded so promising. But the Arnaud Manor is neglected and unwelcoming, and I get the feeling it isn't exactly uninhabited. Something wants to hurt us--especially my little sister, Tabby. Okay, so I might be a little sensitive lately. My parents act oblivious to me, my old life is far away in San Francisco, and the gorgeous guy I just met tells me terrible stories about the infamous Madame Arnaud who lived here long ago, and about missing children and vengeful spirits. The kind of stories that are impossible to believe--until you're living in one of them, fighting to protect everyone you love... - From Amazon

Review:
Who doesn't love a good haunted house story? The book may be aimed at young adults, but I loved the creepy atmosphere and especially the secret ghosts inhabiting the house. I admit I must be slow as it took me awhile to realize the main character's true situation, which was nicely written so as to keep you guessing. I still enjoyed seeing her story unfold.

 The best parts, though, were the creepy Madame Bathory-styled ghost haunting the mansion. I wanted to read more about her and her creepy intentions. Great start to the series and I can't wait to read the next book. The saga continues with Betrayed and the latest, Avenged.

1 Line: I kept imagining hearing the swish of those giant bee wings, or maybe more like the sound of skirts, the way a small train would drag along the floor. 

 Zombie-in-Chief: Eater of the Free World: A Novel Take on a Brain-Dead Election, Scott Kenemore -

About Zombie-in-Chief:

When a tycoon and reality TV star improbably wins his party's nomination for the presidency, pundits and analysts are as baffled as they are certain that he will never win the general election. What can a man who already lives at the top of a golden skyscraper with a supermodel wife still want?

Absent entirely from their prognostications is the possibility that it could be to gorge upon the brains of the living! That he dreams of building a border wall to better keep delicious humans in! That he seeks to make American great again. . . for zombies!  - From Amazon


Review:
Two words: Bloody brilliant. I've read Kenemore's earlier books, Zombie: Illinois, which I loved since I'm from Chicago and Zombie: Ohio. But this... this tops them all. 

If you're into politics or even if you're not, you'll see the parallels between real life and fiction with characters like The Reporter, The Fake Newsman and The Governor. The main character, The Tycoon is rich, powerful, has a model wife, he's running for president, you know the real story - oh, and btw, he's really a zombie and the news is out to expose him. 

This is so wonderfully and realistically written as zombie satire that you almost think you're reading about real life, except for the horror elements, of course. If you're open-minded and like zombies, you'll love this.

There are some funny parallels and explanations that relate to real life. And it also has a few surprising twists, which I can't share so as not to give them away. I wasn't as keen on the ending though it made sense, but the overall story arc kept me hooked, reading  and chuckling.  

1 Line:  (But most of all, let no one suspect that his makeup concealed the corpse-pale sheen of the unliving.)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer