Sunday, November 5, 2023

Stephen King's Holly: Review

 Yes, I'm a Stephen King fan, let's say a "Constant Reader," since way back when. The Stand is still a long-time favorite, both in book and the first mini-series/film. 

I loved The Shining, too, so I was happy when the sequel novel, Dr. Sleep came out, which was so much fun to revisit. I have tended to lean more toward his horror novels, but his foray in recent years to mystery/crime, often with tinges of horror, has been equally satisfying.

Now I admit I didn't finish the whole Mr. Mercedes trilogy as I still have one or two I think yet to read. I loved his last book, Fairy Tale, too, though, it was more a strange fantasy but with a gripping storyline. But I couldn't resist this latest book, Holly. With good reason.

Wow. Marvelous. Grisly, yes, but no one like Stephen King can plumb the evils of man in such a fascinating way that makes perfect, if awful, sense. He has really gotten better and better. His last few books, I think maybe since Billy Summers (I'd have to look at the order again) have been superb, with no extra padding/filler as in the past. Even the author's note at the end had some interesting tidbits. I sure hope Holly takes on another case, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer