Friday, October 11, 2024

The history of Bram Stoker's Dracula

 Welcome to another day of the October Frights Blog Hop! Today I'm talking Dracula; scroll down below.

* Check out the Book Fair!

* See the Horror-Zombie-Halloween Reading List

Sat, Oct.12 - Talking Dracula and a treat! (If you didn't hear it, follow links to the online interview with Dacre Stoker, great-grandnephew of Dracula author Bram Stoker. Very interesting!)

Sun, Oct.13 - Mystery-Crime-Halloween Reading List at the other blog (Candid Canine.)

Here are the October Frights Blogs:

Be Afraid of the Dark

Frighten Me
Reading Fiction Blog - Paula Cappa
GirlZombieAuthors
M'Habla's!
Carmilla Voiez British Horror Author
Minnesota (Horror) Nice
Hawk's Happenings
Rob Read - Author

The classic vampire novel, Dracula, by Bram Stoker, is one of my favorite horror novels. I've read the book, first published in 1897 many times, but I realize that I haven't done that in a few years. (1897 facsimilie version on Amazon.)

Now, after listening to a fascinating and informative online interview with Dacre Stoker, great-grandnephew of the author, I'm ready for another re-read. (Which I just began!)

Stoker offers some interesting background on the writing of the book and the research that went into it, sharing multiple sources and original documents. It really adds a whole new dimension and appreciation to the book. Take the time to follow the links and look at the maps and documents he shares. It really makes the story more real. I'm definitely glad I watched it and may just watch it again.

* See the interview (about 1 1/2 hours long), presented by the Horror Writers Association (HWA), here on YouTube.

One of the things I'll have to do is look into getting a nice copy of the book for my collection. Here's a nice paperback, illustrated version on Amazon. But will have to see if it's at B&N when I next go there.

Freebie: 

* You can download the ebook of the original Dracula at Project Gutenberg. See a full page of various formats here. (Image: original 1897 cover, at Project Gutenberg.

*Here are the links to the ebook versions.


1 comment:

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer