Monday, January 23, 2017

2017 Reading List So Far...

I've been lax posting, I admit, since I'm pretty much in writing mode, but I wanted to share some books that are my on reading radar that I hope to get into soon. Yes, quite a mixture from historical to medieval, miniatures related and of course, Lizzie Borden!

Started:


 

The Virgin's Lover, Philippa Gregory - The story of England's Queen Elizabeth and her reign. As I just finished the story of her sister and predecessor, the Tudor Queen Mary, with the interesting tale of a psychic court jester wrapped around it in The Queen's Fool, I wanted to continue reading while the story was fresh in my mind. (I really don't like these newer covers. They look too "romance" to me and too modern. I'm reading an older version of the first book; both books had a beautiful, gold-gilded Tudor dress on front.)

Next Up Soon:
  The Inheritance, Jacqueline Seewald -  Reminds me of old gothics! To collect her inheritance, a widow must live in an old mansion for two years - and someone doesn't want her there! 

The Witch's Trinity, A NovelErika Mailman - In 1507, a friar arrives in a small town in Germany claiming a severe famine is due to a witch's curse. You know what that means...





Coming soon:

 All Dolled Up: Creating a Paper Fashion Wardrobe for Paper Dolls, L. Delaney - paper versions of dollhouse miniature dresses. Can't wait to try this out. (Releases Feb. 15. Has a different cover, I see.)

Lizzie Borden stories, of course!


 I know some authors don't like to read in genres, etc. that they're writing in, but what I did with Lizzie Borden, Zombie Hunter based in part on the actual trial  - and a different - but plausible - version of why the crime happened - is much different than anyone else's interpretation, so it doesn't affect my thoughts in the writing process. I have my own outline worked out on book 2 (with the usual strange circumstances I seem to be drawn to) , and have a different take on parallel events in the novella I'm working on as well centered on Lizzie's physician/neighbor. (Book 2 and novella are out! See website.



 I won a galley of this and can't wait to read it in a few months!  
The Murderer's Maid, A Novel of Lizzie BordenErika Mailman - Another take on the Borden murders, this time from the point of view of the family's Irish maid, Bridget Sullivan.

 The History and Haunting of Lizzie Borden, Rebecca F. Pittman - I plan to eventually get this one, too.  Huge (800+ pages) take on the murders and another explanation of possible culprits. Nearly 125 years later, the crime goes on... It never gets old, does it?

What's on your reading list? What topics do you like to read about?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer