Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Writing is Not for the Meek, #1LineWed

As I'm working on my latest project, The Haunting of Dr. Bowen, A Mystery in Lizzie Borden's Fall River, and looking at the latest set of notes/suggestions from another reader got me thinking - writing is not for the meek.

And since it's also #1LineWed - 1 Line Wednesday - here's a sample line from the upcoming Dr. Bowen story: (see more at website.)


"A dream. A bad dream, that's all it was. Just a dream." --Dr. Seabury Bowen

Now, back to writing.... you thought it was easy? haaaaa! Well, for me, nonfiction is easier since that's my background training and many years of newspaper writing. It doesn't mean it always goes smoothly, it's just my first experience.

Fiction is harder. If you are curious about the process, (well, for me), read on. Otherwise you might find this rather boring.

The saying is you write and then you rewrite and rewrite and... add about x times more. (I'm a serial re-reader and re-writer. So probably 20 times??) Very true.

I wrote the novella, revising as I go. Rereading quite a few times and revising some more. My writer's group got a short read of the very beginning. As it's short, two of the group read it and gave minor suggestions. Another fellow writer/editor read it - different suggestions.

Edited it. Edited it again.

Last reader/editor gave some other suggestions. Good ones, too, as they all see different things. Funny thing is how you can read something several times and you still don't see or miss certain things. But that's what pre-readers and beta readers are for.

So, I'll do some other changes, not major ones, which is good. Then it should be ready. Will I miss some things? Maybe. But it'll be the best I can make it right now. You simply do your best.

The main thing: others like the story. I like the story. And I think you will, too.

I really had fun with this one, melding the past and distant past, and adding different spooky elements and some mysteries to Lizzie Borden's hometown. And Lizzie also has an influence in this since, after all, the doctor was among the first on the scene of the Borden murders....

So stayed (See? That's why you have readers and editors. ha!) tuned for more details! I'll share the back cover copy and the cover soon!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer