Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Are #Zombies Over??

Today's Question & Thought:
Are Zombies Over?


Yes, more and more zombie books are being published but... is the field getting too glutted? It seems to be an avalanche and yet... it still seems that the attraction for zombies is waning.... 

Are people losing interest? Has it run its course?

The Walking Dead isn't as talked about as it once was... many fans admitted they quit watching. I can say that the Negan murders were awful and brutal besides looking so fake, but the main thing was that this awful character storyline dragged on and on. I'm behind in watching and while I get hooked on the show when I start again, I don't miss not watching.

With the main characters dwindling and now with Rick leaving as well, is the show on its last legs? Does that mean zombies have run their course, too? I don't know.

Interesting is that the books that I'm most drawn to now are all young adult. 

 Jonathan Maberry has come out with a new book, Broken Lands, which expands on his YA Rot and Ruin series with new characters, familiar faces, plus monsters and dangers worse than anything they faced before.

Some authors with large, long-running series are adding to their line or winding it up.

I find myself thinking about dystopian books for my own writing, too. I read a couple that were dark, hopeless kind of stories and yet... they keep you reading. Why, I'm not sure. 

One older book that I couldn't stop reading - Ashfall.  

Dark, dismal and it gets darker. It has a growing love story and conflicts. It hooks you, but the way book two was left hanging, making it feel like it forced a book three, made me stop reading. Then there was the horrid story decline into cannibalism.

 I recently picked up this book, though it's been out a while  - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, intrigued by the cover. It's dystopian and vampire, apparently. The usual prey-predator, boyfriend-girlfriend facing dangers kind of story, but it sounds intriguing... 

What do you think? Are you done with zombies? 
What do you like to read in any of the genres? 
What keeps you reading a dystopian story?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer