Thursday, October 9, 2014

Top 10 Scary Books

Halloween is the perfect time to curl up with a good scary book. Here are a few of my favorites or books that made an impression. What are yours?

In no particular order:



1. Dracula, Bram Stoker (Dracula (Dover Thrift Editions))

2. The Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe: A Complete Collection of Poems and Tales.


3. Stephen King titles could fill the list, but I'll pick Pet Sematary as my favorite next to 'Salem's Lot.

4. I Am Legend, Richard Matheson - I just read this. It's creepy with the
atmosphere and the fact that it is written with only one character throughout most of the novella.

5. The Haunting of Hill House (Penguin Horror), Shirley Jackson - One I have to reread. I read it a long time ago, but always remembered its creepiness.

6. The Town, Bentley Little - Not a favorite, but this was such a freaky book and series which I thought was a very interesting idea. I thought the gratuitous sex scenes added nothing to the stories, though, and made me stop reading all the books.

7. Winter Moon: A Novel
Any scary book list wouldn't be complete without a Dean Koontz book. He's written so many, some I liked, some I didn't, but I remember this one as gripping and creepy.


8. Violet Eyes, John Everson
I am still reading this one, but nothing is scarier or creepier, I think, than spiders. Excellent story and the cover says it all.


9. Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel (Dead of Night Series), Jonathan Maberry
Same goes with zombies, the list is endless. There are tons of books, but my first, and favorite, zombie book was this one.  Can't wait to read the new sequel - Fall of Night: A Zombie Novel (Dead of Night Series)


 10. Cure: A Strandville Zombie Novel #1, Belinda Frisch - This is not your typical zombie novel but makes me think of a late night, classic horror film; [ a really great read. Something different.


* See more: Nightmare Magazine's top 100 horror books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer