Friday, March 24, 2017

Suspending Disbelief

OK, so if you follow my other blog, you’ll know that this week has been a challenge for me and getting things done on time. In any case, here’s today’s blog.

It’s not really a secret that I’m pretty far behind in watching zombie TV shows. I’m actually pretty far behind watching all my shows. I prefer to DVR them so I can watch them at my leisure, but I’ve been a bit busy lately. I haven’t turned the TV on for the past couple of days.

Anywho, my point is that I just recently started watching the third season of Z Nation. I love Z Nation. It’s such a fun show. In the third season opener, it flashed back to a time when the group was helping protect a doctor from a character called The Man (who, by the way, should always walk around in a vest). The Man and his men attack the compound, and one of the weapons they use are zombies with metal helmets. This, of course, makes it difficult for the undead to be shot in the head.

At first, I was like: Pffffft! They aren’t a threat. Sure, you can’t kill them, but they can’t bite you, either. So, really, they are just a weird weapon that doesn’t pose any threat. But as the episode went on, I realized these zombies were a bigger threat than they originally appeared. They couldn’t bite anyone, but they had strength and could still kill others. Just because those people didn’t turn didn’t mean they weren’t taken out of the fight. These helmeted zombies were a major danger.

The other aspect of those zombies that I found a bit strange was that they were on chains and being driven forward by a man with a whip. This really didn’t make any sense to me because zombies don’t fall prey to threats. They can’t feel pain and they certainly don’t know fear, so it seemed overly dramatic. But I think that was supposed to be the point. I think the theatrics of the zombies and the guy with the whip was to frighten the humans, and it had the intended effect.

Isn’t it amusing that I’m willing to believe zombies can exist and take over the world, but I have issues with them wearing helmets and being driven forward by a whip?

In any show or movie we watch there will be elements that don’t make a lot of sense or seem out of place. I have a tendency to focus on those things and roll them over in my mind, trying to figure out why they would be in there at all. Sometimes I can figure it out, and other times I can’t. But in the end, it boils down to suspending disbelief and just enjoying the ride.

Do you have any movies or shows you’ve watched where something like this has happened?  What was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer