What better time than Halloween to enjoy a few scares?
Short stories are a great way to try out a new author, delve into the writing from a favorite writer, or just enjoy a good scare in short story form.
Here are some different Halloween, horror and monster-themed anthologies to help you put a little spookiness in your life.
208 Two Sentence Horror Stories, Vol. I-IV, (Immortal Scares), Michael Ridley - What horrors can be shared in two sentences? Well, a lot apparently...
Fantastic Tales of Terror: History's Darkest Secrets, Christopher Golden, Jonathan Maberry and others - (Pre-order, releases Oct. 26.) Lost supernatural stories behind some of the most famous people and events in history. How the Titanic really sank, what people did in the Depression and more... Includes:
- Introduction by Tony Todd - “The Deep Delight of Blood” by Tim Waggoner
- “Unpretty Monster” by Mercedes Yardley - “The Tell-Tale Mind” by Kevin J. Anderson
- “Topsy-Turvy” by Elizabeth Massie - “Ray and the Martian” by Bev Vincent
- “The Girl with the Death Mask” by Stephanie M. Wytovich - “On a Train Bound for Home” by Christopher Golden - “The Custer Files” by Richard Chizmar
- “Red Moon” by Michael Paul Gonzalez - “The Prince of Darkness and the Showgirl” by John Palisano -“The Secret Engravings” by Lisa Morton
- “Mutter” by Jess Landry - “La Llorona” by Cullen Bunn
- “The London Encounter” by Vince Liaguno - “Bubba Ho-Tep” by Joe R. Lansdale
- “Gorilla my Dreams” by Jonathan Maberry - “Articles of Teleforce” by Michael Bailey
- “Sic Olim Tyrannis” by David Wellington -“The Washingtonians” by Bentley Little
- “Scent of Flesh” by Jessica Marie Baumgartner -“Rotoscoping Toodies” by Mort Castle
- “Lone Wolves” by Paul Moore -“The Great Stone Face vs. the Gargoyles” by Jeff Strand
Flight or Fright , Stephen King, Joe Hill, and others - Not the book to read before a plane flight. King and co-editor Bev Vincent share 17 new and classic tales of those things that can go wrong in the air. Includes new stories by King and Joe Hill. Includes:
Introduction by Stephen King - Cargo by E. Michael Lewis
The Horror of the Heights by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson - The Flying Machine by Ambrose Bierce - Lucifer! by E.C. Tubb
The Fifth Category by Tom Bissell - Two Minutes Forty-Five Seconds by Dan Simmons
Diablitos by Cody Goodfellow - Air Raid by John Varley - You Are Released by Joe Hill
Warbirds by David J. Schow - The Flying Machine by Ray Bradbury
Zombies on a Plane by Bev Vincent - They Shall Not Grow Old by Roald Dahl
Murder in the Air by Peter Tremayne - The Turbulence Expert by Stephen King
Falling by James L. Dickey - Afterword by Bev Vincent
Ghosts, Goblins, Murder & Madness: Twenty Tales of Halloween, Rebecca Rowland, Editor - Twenty-one authors from five countries and 11 states offer eerie tales of Halloween horror
Liaisons Macabre, Charles W. Jones - Relations, even the dark ones, make the world go 'round. Not true crime, even if it sounds that way...
My Favorite Story Podcast Anthology, Armand Rosamillia, Jonathan Maberry, Brian Keene and others - Fifteen podcast hosts and authors share their favorite stories. Includes: - "Spirits" by James A. Moore - "The Tin Box" by Kelli Owen
- "Short Straw" by Jay Wilburn - "The Rag And Bone Man" by John Urbancik
- "The Priest" by Jaimie Engle "Seven Eight One Five Four" by Amber Fallon
-"Kins" by Mary SanGiovanni -"Rainforest of Bones" by Armand Rosamilia
- "Put On A Happy Face" by Christopher Golden - "Mr. Giggles" by Frank J. Edler
- "M.E.N.TOR by Thomas R. Clark - "I Sing A New Psalm" by Brian Keene
- "Dandelion Yellow" by Erin Sweet Al-Mehairi - "Dead Beckoning" by Chuck Buda
- "Pegleg And Paddy Save The World" by Jonathan Maberry
Quoth the Raven, Amber Fallan and others - Thirty authors retell and re-imagine Poe's eerie tales for the 21st century.
Scream and Scream Again!, Spooky Stories from Mystery Writers of America - R.L.Stine, Heather Graham, Chris Grabenstein and others share some scary stories with wicked ice cream trucks, time traveling heroes, witches, warlocks, and haunted houses.
The Horror in the Water Tower & Five More tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, Mark McLaughlin - Tales with "grotesque, nightmare creatures" and two follow-up tales to Lovecraft's "The Dreams in the Witch House."
The Mammoth Book of Halloween Stories: Terrifying Tales Set on the Scariest Night of the Year, Stephen Jones, Editor - Twenty-six terrifying tales from various authors, Joe R. Lansdale, Richard Matheson, Neil Gaiman and more.
Terror Threads: A collection of horror stories, Mark Cassell - Ten tales in the Shadows Fabric Mythos. Ghosts, demons and more.
What Goes Bump in the Night: A Halloween Paranormal Romance Anthology - Sometimes the monsters that watch you in the dark aren't scary, but are sexy...
** My books, Lizzie Borden, Zombie Hunter and Lizzie Borden, Zombie Hunter 2 (first time 99 cents on this one!) are also on sale! **
Happy, er, Spooky Reading!