Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Story a Day, Zombies & Dogs

Today, for Story a Day, thought I'd share an adorable short video I came across. 
Steadfast Stanley by CalArts student John Cody Kim tells the story of a loyal little Corgi who is determined to find his young owner when he's left behind during a Z attack.  Luckily, both make it.

Using this as inspiration, I'm offering a little flash story:

My Dog Jake

By C.A. Verstraete

They lumber, slobber, stumble and fall,
The zombies, of course, not dogs like my dog, Jake.
Jake runs with me, barking at the creatures, running right by my side.
No matter what, I can't leave him behind.
Not when they come.
Not if they hear.
Not ever.
I can't be alone . . . not with them.
I won't be, not with him.





   * My book,  GIRL Z: My Life as a Teenage Zombie also features a dog, a German Shepherd, though the relationship is not as charming as this. In fact, my character and part-zombie girl, Becca, is not too thrilled when her aunt wants to bring a dog over as protection. Read that excerpt at the bottom of this post here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer