(In no particular order, from the home office of Karina Fabian, author of Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator)
10. They're the next big trend! Forget your sparkly vampires--maggoty zombies are the hot literary trope in the fantasy horror world!
9. Need to incorporate all five senses? Zombie stench makes that easy!
8. There's so much uncharted territory. Let's face it--if you have to add glitter to your vampires to make them new, the genre's been done. Zombies are still wide open. Really--see the guts?
7. No more pressure to put in that sex scene to bump ratings
6. You can abuse them freely. They're dead. You can whack off their heads without remorse. Or, if you choose to go for the legs and leave them crawling and groaning "flesh wound!" it's funny. Bonus--the ASPCA doesn't care about them!
5. Body humor! No one can lend you a hand with that better than a zombie! (From Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator: "He moved in to cover her while she checked out some zombie spoor: dried skin, a rotting finger, what looked like part of a nose. Must have been some sneeze. ")
4. Easy to write dialogue for.
3. What a literary device. In Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator, I use zombies as a foil to attack some of the finer aspects of society--conspiracy theorist, radical ecologists, activists, etc. It was a lot of fun to point at these groups with a rotting finger.
2. When you've explored all aspects of life, what's left? Oh, wait!
1. To prove you have the braaaiiiins for it!