Friday, June 19, 2015

#SummerofZombie Friday - Zombie Pets?


 ** Summer of Zombie Friday! **

I'm up today so I'm copying my post below, along with the excerpts of the other authors today. (See excerpt of CHANGES below!!) 

A thought I had: most zombie books don't have pets. It's like the dogs and cats... disappeared. Were they - gasp - eaten? Hiding?  Lost somewhere? Taken into hiding? 

I mention pets today since my bookGirl Z: My Life As A Teenage Zombie, does have a dog in it for a brief appearance. But many things in the book go on as usual - school, teen worries, etc. Some people think that doesn't work, but even in The Walking Dead there are times when the characters walk down roads and are in places without zombies, they go into houses and stay for a while without zombies on top of them... It depends on where the population is that becomes the zombies. Not everyone is everywhere.. and in my thinking, there is still room to try to adjust and yes, have dogs. After all, what is life without a dog? The real apocalypse. 

*********************

Check out today's authors and excerpts. Full posts are  at the DyingDaysZombie blog. (I am adding excerpts here below once the posts go up.)

****************

Friday June 19

C.A. Verstraete Guest Post

Author of Girl Z: My Life As A Teenage Zombie and CHANGES: A GIRL Z Prequel, A Zombie Story


 


Excerpt from Changes, GIRL Z Prequel by C.A. Verstraete

About the book:
* In Changes, A GIRL Z Prequel storySpence’s “perfect” job is anything but. He escapes a living dead nightmare when his co-workers turn into flesh-eating monsters. As the plague spreads, follow Spence on his return home to see his family one last time… if he can make it.

This is a short story prequel to my book, GIRL Z: My Life as a Teenage Zombie.

Chapter One
It wasn’t the way Spence Sanchez had wanted to leave Wisconsin, flying out the front door of his childhood home, bag in hand, his mother yelling at his back, but he knew it was time. She’d been right, of course, not that he’d ever admit it out loud, let alone tell her. He’d turned into a bum. He needed to move out and get on with his life.

Spence remembered standing on the sidewalk and looking back, taking in the familiar white, ranch-style house and his mother’s stocky frame in the doorway. “Call you later,” he’d yelled and waved.

He did call home after arriving in Kentucky for his new job, but when his mother didn’t answer, he’d left a curt message about getting there safe. Nothing else.

Regret gnawed at him. He should’ve said more, lots more.

Chapter Two
“Bloody hell.”

Spence bolted from bed, his heart pounding. He stared at the alarm clock—the damn silent, non-working, no-alarm clock— and scrambled to his feet. Late. He was frigging late again. His super Joe Blowanski, (yeah, they called him Joe Blow behind his back) had warned him about coming in late again. Third time this week. Pretty bad when he lived just down the road in a dorm, right?

Spence swore as he raced to dress and get out as quick as possible. The door slammed behind him and he’d almost made it to the stairs when an odd moan caught his ear. Was somebody sick?

Ugggggghhhh.

He stopped, the hairs standing up on his neck. That sounded like at lot more than somebody being sick. What the—? His stomach cramped in fear. Don’t turn around, he told himself. 
But he did.

His dorm-mate Darren—or at least what used to be him—stared back from rheumy white eyes.

Spence stumbled backward, not sure he wanted to get too close. “D-D-Darren? What the hell happened to you?”

The old Darren would’ve joked and laughed. This one didn’t say a word. His co-worker simply moaned and stumbled toward him…

* C.A. (Christine) Verstraete is the author of GIRL Z: My Life as a Teenage Zombie and several short stories. See details at her website http://cverstraete.com or visit her blog,http://girlzombieauthors.blogspot.com.

All Amazon countries: http://authl.it/B00XWWO79S



Julianne Snow Guest Post
Author in Demonic Visions 50 Horror Tales Book 5




Zombie Lit That Has Influenced Me
I have been reading Zombie literature for quite some time. It makes sense though; I love anything to do with them. I’ve been thinking for quite some time about the Zombie literature that has influenced me and I ended up coming up with a relatively short list in comparison to the troves of treasures out in the world.

The first book that really made me realize that Zombies had invaded the pages of literature was Herbert West – Reanimator by HP Lovecraft. It is something I read in high school and it opened my eyes to a whole new realm of horror literature. I had been watching Zombies for quite some time but I hadn’t really read that much about them. Nor had I really even looked, to be honest. I had my favorite authors already firmly entrenched and while I read books from other authors, my favorites kept me busy. When I stumbled across it, though, I found that Lovecraft has such a specific style in what he writes. Even with the simplest words, he can strike a chord of fear deep down inside. If you haven’t read it yet, I suggest you get to it! Read the rest…

Author of Z Children: Awakening




Teaser  – Z CHILDREN: AWAKENING
The second scream did nothing to calm Grandma’s nerves. I patted her arm, all the while searching the store for the source of the agonizing yells. “It’s okay, Grandma. It’s okay.” I murmured; trying to soothe my own brittle nerves as much as those of the little, white-haired lady beside me.

“Clary, Clary, it’s Momma. Sweetie, Baby, stop. Please stop.”  The voice was desperate, full of fear. “Please, Baby. I know you aren’t feeling well. I’ll let you pick out any kind of ice cream you want, Baby. Just please stop.”


A woman in dark wash jeans and a burgundy blouse stumbled out of aisle five. Pasta-Sauce-Canned Vegetables. Her jeans and shirt were damp, but the dark coloring made it hard to discern the liquid on her clothes. Just marinara or maybe olive oil. Bonnie assumed. Some jar must have broken. Maybe her daughter threw a fit and tossed some things around. Brat needs a spanking. Daddy would never let me act like that, let alone offer me ice cream. No wonder so many little kids act like animals. Read the rest…



Mike Evans Guest Post

The Shaun Fox Interview
Washington 4 years after outbreak. Location The Orphans Brigade Headquarter
I can’t say that our meeting was chance. I had heard of Shaun Fox the great and brave Shaun Fox. I hadn’t planned on such an in depth interview at the time, all I wanted to do was ask him the same thing that everyone asked him, what’s next, can they be stopped, when do you quit trying? Will you ever quit trying. While looking for him I caught him after the end of a gun fight, there were turned lying everywhere, as well as his own men and women on the ground and roof. It was a blood bath and it was difficult to be able to walk without getting the blood on your boots. He knew from the description that he thought he’d seen shaun it was a man that was six foot five inches tall. I walked up to him and I said, “Hello, My name is Jack…Jack Wallen. I want to interview you about.”

The man turned around smiling shaking his head. He said, “My name isnt Shaun it’s Freddy. You are looking for that kid over there, the one helping stack bodies.” Read the rest…





I have the honor of being on Armand’s blog again the problem was I couldn’t figure out what to write about, I turned it over to my fan base who thankfully came up with some awesome suggestions! So without further ado here is one such suggestion:

Twyla DeShazo I would like to hear about the impact your incredible imagination has had on your life. And a list of goals you have for the future!

Way back in the year 2000 I got the funny idea to go back to school, took a bunch of computer classes in the hopes I could leave my blue collar behind and put on what I believed to be the much more coveted white collar. It still amazes me how we always think the grass is greener on the other side. Any way I got a job right out of school really thought it was the right move, more money more bennies it made the hard work seem worth it. Yeah that was right up until I got laid off the first time. While I was looking for more work I stumbled across a story I had started back in college entitled Indian Hill. Luckily I found work at a great company but I still pecked away at the IH series finishing book 1 and 2 and even starting 3. Read the rest...


Jack Wallen Guest Post
Author of The Dark Seduction


Women and the apocalypse
A long time ago I wrote a little something called I Zombie I. Initially it was to be a stand-alone story. By the time I completed the book, I realized I wasn’t ready to let it go. But when you’ve crafted a main character doomed by the end of the first book, what do you do?
You make sure you’ve got a strong enough supporting cast around him to take up the mantel.

In the process of writing the book, Jacob (the main protagonist of I Zombie I) fell in love with a brilliant hacker named Bethany Nitshimi. When I finished writing that first story, I myself had fallen in love with the red-haired hacker and realized, beyond any shadow of any doubt, she had to take over the reins of the series. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense … even if for only one reason.


At the time, women in the zpoc genre were nothing more than eye candy and romantic fodder. This notion was hit home with the coming of The Walking Dead. Even a show with that much pull and popularity couldn’t seem to give women their due – even to the point of taking their best character, Carol, and screwing her over for a season or three. Thankfully, in the end, logic and the double X helix won out. Read the rest…


          *******************

 Follow along on Twitter - #SummerofZombie  

BONUS! You can also order a cool T-shirt from the event.


** Get the ebook! Summer Of Zombie : 12 ebook box set with works by 13 Summer of Zombie authors. Available for a limited time!  




Check back often as more interviews, guest posts and teasers are added!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer