Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blogging A to Z, G is for Ginger Root

Blogging A to Z - G is for 

Ginger Root
I was trying to decide what to write about for today's letter, G, when my husband talked me into drinking this juice concoction he'd made, which included ginger root. Now, I'm not going to lie to you - it wasn't anything to rave about and personally, I'd have preferred the taste of a Spicy V8 with all of it's high sodium and crazy unidentifiable additives. But, because I wanted to support this new healthy venture of his, I agreed to start "juicing", as they call it, once a day. Well, needless to say, we both had to pretty much force this first drink down and I'm pretty sure it was because of the ginger root. It overpowered the rest of the fruit and vegetables in the drink, which included apples, celery, cucumber, kale, and some other healthy junk he said would help us live longer. Well, fifteen minutes later, we went for a walk, and let me tell you - I was ready to join one of those zombie runs. I felt good and didn't slow down at the end of our walk, like I usually did. So, obviously, all of those fruits and vegetables were a great substitute for my normal cup of java. Anyway, back to the ginger root - yeah, it packed a little punch and we'll probably adjust the amount in our next drink, but it's well worth it as I was amazed to find out about the numerous health benefits. I'd always known it helped with nausea, but had no idea about the following benefits-

 Curbs your appetite
Helps with digestion
Clears sinuses and congestion
Reduces flatulence
Helps with cramps
Helps increase circulation
Possibly lowers both blood pressure,  cholesterol, and blood sugar!
So, if you're looking for natural ways to get healthier, consider adding Ginger Root to your diet. You can find recipes all over the internet - including teas, juice concoctions, and desserts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here Unless You're a Spammer